Monday, February 20, 2012

Scarlett (and the Quick-Sketch Portrait - day 12)

"Scarlett"  (pastel, 6x6 inches)  click here to bid

Titling one's painting is definitely part of the creative process (or struggle, as it may be!) And I admit, after 100+, names for ranch animals are beginning to be hard for me to think up without repeating any. Sometimes I'll simply consider whatever name first pops into my head, and if it doesn't seem overtly wrong, I'll go with it. Sometimes I'm lucky, and the name is obvious from the first look at the photo reference.
This one took some thought. No name seemed to fit, that I hadn't already used. Then I decide to ignore the look and coloring of the cow, and began to look for clues in the painting itself. This is a more contemporary feel, bold colors, in-your-face pose. She looked to me as if she was on a stage, like a starlet. Ah! The rhyming "Scarlett" popped into place. I laughed. "There's not much red in this painting," I thought. But then my odd sense of humor said "It's perfect!" What else could you name a black and white bovine stage actress on a blue and gold field?

___________________________________

And here's today's Quick-Sketch portrait from the rodeo. It was a day for cowboy hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment