Friday, May 4, 2012

Golden - original pastel painting by Rita Kirkman

"Golden"  (pastel, 6.5 x 6.5 inches) 

Golden may be a study for a larger painting of the same subject. When cropping from the photo reference, I was confident of my square composition, but unsure of what size would work best for this image. So I started small, with a 6 1/2" square, to fit one of the leftover gold floater frames I have. But I might also do this one larger. I like the composition and colors. I've used some touches of iridescent golds and greens in this, which don't reproduce well on screen.

Here's my photo and beginning drawing.
"Golden" is now available at Cactus Jack's in Gruene, Texas.

5 comments:

  1. Really enjoy this Golden calf! Beautiful work.

    I agree...make a large one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice-like the colors of the shadows and the texture of the whole painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soft texture of the fur is amazing! Very nice and interesting color as well. Vicki Goodrich

    ReplyDelete