Friday, June 29, 2012

Looking Back

"Looking Back"  (pastel, 7x5 inches)   click here to bid

Looking back on the past two and a half years since deciding to try to paint daily, I can trace the ups and downs my life and my efforts to follow this artistic path. I can't imagine that most professional artists don't work their craft almost daily as a matter of course and as part of their ongoing job. It's the specificity of creating a continuous cache of finished works in order to post a new painting every day for all to see that defines the 'Daily Painter' as a particular breed apart.

From the beginning of this journey, I've cultivated an immense appreciation for the effort and sheer determination it takes to be a Daily Painter by that definition. I've also begun to comprehend much of what I've heard and read about the experience of daily painting, and have found parallels from other parts of my life.

I do believe that that undefinable quality called 'talent' has almost nothing to do with an individual's potential for success as a Daily Painter. It does, however, manifest itself as a direct result of the process of being a daily painter, or specifically, painting daily.

It really is an ongoing adventure with no final destination. More experience brings more questions, and more learning.

I'm really not the sort to look back much. I prefer looking forward - just to the next 10 minutes usually! In order not to become paralyzed by seemingly impossible goals, sometimes it's wise to wear blinders.

My favorite quote this month is one by Picasso: ”I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them.”

.

5 comments:

  1. Love this painting...the colors, the composition...it all works so well. I also love the post..so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious! I really love the illuminating light you achieve in your work. I've been painting and posting on my blog for 3 years now and have been a daily painter on and off throughout this time. It takes a lot of dedication and determination but definitely worth it! I've just recently started posting on Daily Painter Works and am really enjoying it. Nice to meet you. Your work always catches my eye.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - not only for another fabulous image but the content about daily blogging.
    I managed 400 consecutive days and it was HARD
    but the rewards were great. As you said and I agree... talent has nothing to do with success. I enjoy the friendships made. A huge reward.
    Love the Picasso quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! I appreciate the feedback! (I'm not much of a writer either, but every rare once in a while I have a profound thought. lol)

    ReplyDelete