Sunday, October 28, 2012

Nancy - 15 minute Quick Sketch Portrait

"Nancy"  (approx. 17x13 inches)  sold

Boy, I've had a busy weekend! My 2-woman show opened at Cactus Jack's with a reception on Friday evening, demos by Jeannette and I on Saturday, a caricature gig on Saturday evening, and another demo on Sunday for the Austin Pastel Society.

Well, I don't quite have pics of either demo yet, so today I'm going to promote my Quick-Sketch Portrait Workshop next weekend at the New Braunfels Art League Gallery. Last month I was fortunate to have demonstrated at the September meeting of the Art League. Here I want to show you one of the 4 quick portrait sketches that I did that evening. This is Nancy, a past president of the New Braunfels Art League. I believe this sketch took me about 16 minutes, but I was talking and answering questions as I drew. My average time for a portrait like this is about 12 minutes. When I'm really in a rush, I have been clocked at 7 and 1/2 minutes. Admittedly, that's with not much shading. But I still got a decent likeness.

I do these sketches at the San Antonio Rodeo in February each year, and also at a craft show at Rolling Oaks Mall in San Antonio for about 3 weeks at Christmastime.

I'm offering a workshop to teach this method and philosophy of drawing the portrait very quickly, next weekend, Nov 2-4, 2012, at the New Braunfels Art League. Click Here for an informational flyer! There are still just a few spaces left in the workshop, for anyone interested and close by!

Below are the progression shots of Nancy's portrait.















No comments:

Post a Comment