Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Nori - day 19

"Nori"  (pastel, 7x5 inches)  click here to bid

Had a few days of difficulty with keeping up with my self-imposed goal of 30-paintings-in-30-days of November (originally it was 60-in-30, to create for Dec as well as Nov; what was I thinking!?) but have finally got a good long day in the studio and am feeling really good right now! I have 4 new paintings and if I'm lucky I'll be able to save some of them for December like my original plan! (If I can get out to the studio early tomorrow, and Friday, and over the weekend, and all next week...)
Lol, well, I'm still confident I'll have my 30-for-November in any case...

Here are some progress shots of Nori:

3 layers of gold primer (excuse the color variance)
For those of you that are not familiar with my underpainting method, I start with some pastel primers brushed onto Gatorboard. The 3 layers of gold primer are shown above. This is Quiacridone Nickel Azo Gold fluid acrylic color mixed into Golden (brand) Fine Pumice Gel. The gel is clear, so the color mixture is semi-transparent, and gets darker on each application.
Then (below) I add Art Spectrum (brand) Pastel Primer in the terra cotta color. When working with a black-furred subject, this is my medium-value primer. (When the subject has no black, the Terra Cotta represents my darkest values in the underpainting. See this blog post for a good example of this!)
the terra cotta primer added
Then I use the black Art Spectrum pastel primer in the darkest areas of the subject, and scrub and dry-brush it into the medium values of the terra cotta to continue the value scale and add more depth to the monochromatic underpainting.
the black primer added
 (Excuse the variance of exposures of these first photos.)

the photo with the primer underpainting




Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment