Sunday, August 16, 2015

Away from the Overlook

"Away from the Overlook"  (oil, 6x6 inches)  click here to bid

Here's a better image of my one plein air painting in Nebraska. From last weekend after judging the Sand Painters Art Guild show in Valentine. Many of the Sand Painters group are devoted plein air artists and I so admire the dedication that takes, so I was excited to join a few of them on Friday evening. We drove up to a beautiful overlook with several views of the valley below. I found it all a bit overwhelming... so much information! So I settled on the simpler view of the pines, facing away from the overlooks. I do believe this is my first oil plein air. It was hard! All that getting situated and mixing paint, while the gorgeous cloud patterns that first attracted me disappear and the light fades! Arg!

I posted a couple shots from that evening on FB a few days ago, but here they are for you blog followers!
the scene

chasing the light

my improvised 'easel-free' setup
I know you're going to ask: I don't remember where I got the chair. I think I ordered it online somewhere, years ago from one of the art supply stores.. Just Google "chair bag cart with wheels" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment