Sunday, September 4, 2016

I is for Impala

"I is for Impala"  (pastel, 10x8 in.) Click here to bid

When I found all my photos for this alphabet series, I was sure this was an Impala. I took the original photo at one of the many wildlife ranches around Texas. I think this might be a youth, who's horns have not yet grown into that elegant subtle spiral.

But recently I did a bit of research online, and I couldn't actually find any Impala with horns growing quite this far apart on the head. So if there's anyone out there who can tell me if this is in fact a variety of Impala, or maybe some kind of antelope inter-breed?

UPDATE: This has been confirmed by several friends as a Red Lechwe antelope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechwe (never heard of it! ha!) Oh well. I've got a few good iguana or ibis pics to find an "I" replacement...

Anyway, here are progress shots:






Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment