Wednesday, October 19, 2016

J is for Jellyfish

"J is for Jellyfish"  (pastel, 12x9 inches) $400 unframed for a limited time

Here's something a bit different, to replace my mistaken Jaguar-turned-Snow-Leopard for the "J" of my alphabet series. I've always loved jellyfish since being mesmerized by an exhibit of these amazing creatures at the New Orleans aquarium years ago. Their graceful, alien beauty is so hard to capture in a still shot. If you've ever seen them in motion you know what I'm talking about!

(If you're new to my Alphabet Series, you can read about how it started here!)

This Jellyfish might be with me at the Fall Into Art Festival, in Gruene TX this weekend, October 22-23, if it doesn't sell before then. I'll be framing it in a couple days. It will be $500 framed.

Here are some progress shots:
 2 or 3 layers of the gold primer. This is Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold fluid acrylic color mixed into Golden (brand) Fine Pumice Gel. The gel is clear, so the color mixture is semi-transparent, and gets darker on each application.
The next layer of primer is the Art Spectrum (brand) Pastel Primer in the terra cotta color. I lay it into the darkest areas, then scrub and dry-brush it into the medium values of the gold to continue the value scale and add more depth to the monochromatic underpainting.
For this jellyfish, I added some thinned down blue and black (mixed)Art Spectrum primer to the background of my underpainting to help get that deep dark water feeling.
The photo and the finished underpainting






Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment