Sunday, June 18, 2017

Handell House

"Handell House" (pastel, 9x12 inches) $390 unframed for a limited time

Unless this sells first, it will be with me at the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair July 20-23, 2017.

As the title suggests, this is the home of Albert Handell! I took his garden workshop in Santa Fe last week, and this was my first painting. The light in Santa Fe was amazing, and it didn't get above 83 degrees the entire time. Perfect plein air painting weather!

Albert is an inspiring teacher. The best thing about his demos (besides how magically they progress) is his so obvious enjoyment of the painting process. And when he's not painting he's full of valuable info and insights into the business and creative sides of being a working artist.

Here are some progress shots of my painting:
photo: the house when I started
pastel underpainting washed in with alcohol



photo: The house when I finished. That darned sun kept moving!!

Extras:
Albert's wife Jeanine, waving at my camera as she comes out. Such a lovely and generous hostess!
Albert working on his morning demo in oils, in the studio from a photo. We painted this same building on site the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment