Sunday, July 9, 2017

An American Heritage

"An American Heritage"  (pastel, 36x24 inches) $3500

My second-largest new work for the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair in Ann Arbor, Michigan, July 20-23, 2017. (Find me in booth #145 on Washington Street!)

This beauty is from a photo I took in Yellowstone National Park a few years ago. The bison own that place, and are not afraid of anything!

I have an amusing story to tell with this painting, about (not) listening to my own teachings. In the progress shots below you might notice that the bison's left ear (on the right when viewing her) seems to be incomplete or even missing. Because the photo was the same way I actually hadn't noticed this. Probably the cow had been twitching her ear back when the photo was snapped. I finally noticed this when I had completely assembled the scan and was about to post. The painting was already at the framer!

Well, after debating with myself and a couple of neutral observers about whether I should just leave it be, I finally had to chew myself out for ignoring my own advice about "blindly following the photo" and "if there's something in the photo that is ambiguous, DON'T paint it that way! It will be ambiguous in the painting as well!"

So I went to my framer in the morning with a handful of pastels and put in the left ear! (Then came home and edited the photo of the painted ear into the image file.) Whew! The price of being a perfectionist.

Here are some earlier progress shots. Other than the missing ear, the bison was one of those rare, flowing, 'easy" paintings!









Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment