Friday, August 11, 2017

Moonshine

"Moonshine"  (pastel, 6x6 inches) click here to bid or buy

This little cutie was the first of my triple-demo at the Kerrville TX workshop this week. See progress shots below:

 For the morning demo, I underpainted three little animals at the same time, in my assembly-line process. Each underpainting gets two additional layers of the gold colored pastel primer (this is Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold fluid acrylic color mixed into Golden (brand) Fine Pumice Gel at about a 1/4 (color/gel) ratio.) The gel is clear, so the color mixture is semi-transparent, and gets darker on each application.
The final layer of the underpainting is the Art Spectrum (brand) Pastel Primer in the terra cotta color. I lay it into the darkest areas, then scrub and dry-brush it into the medium values of the gold to continue the value scale and add more depth to the monochromatic underpaintings. 
 When in my studio, I do these underpaintings in batches of 6-8 or more at a time. Working each layer on each little of the paintings before moving on to the next layer on each painting.
 I like to do a demo like this with three paintings, to give students a better idea of my studio process.
 Here's little Moonshine's complete underpainting.
 In the afternoon, I demoed the pastel part of all three paintings, one after the other, with no talking, and my Pandora station playing to get me in the groove.

I'll post the other two little paintings in the next couple days.

Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment