Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Sunset Grove

"Sunset Grove" (pastel, 8x8 inches) $350 framed

This will be with me at the Rockport Art Festival, July 6 and 7, 2019, in Rockport Texas.

I've had landscapes on my mind lately. Slowly, some of the multitude of tips and teachings that I've gathered from a half dozen instructors over the past decade or more finally seem to be sinking in a little bit. I thank Lorenzo Chavez for being the 10th or 12th landscape instructor to demonstrate the thumbnail sketch (yes, it's taken me this long to willingly adopt the practice of thumbnails!) and several artists who's work I have gradually downloaded for inspiration, including Julie Friedman, Lisa Ransom, Lyn Asselta, and Tom Weinkle. And I noticed that many of my most recent favorites have a striking harmony with popular 2019 interior design colors... hmmm. What a great concept!

So, today I tried to emulate the styles of some inspiring favorite artists and use a palette of this year's design colors while improving my composition using a thumbnail sketch.

I figure one out of three ain't bad. I'm pretty happy with my composition!

But I've decided that I'll never be able to paint like Julie Friedman or Lyn Asselta and the next time I try to use a color scheme I really do need to choose one color scheme and not three or four at once, lol. I was trying for cool blues, but the golds and greens found their way in anyway; I couldn't help myself!

I've also decided I like small mark making, and that's ok. The main thing I was trying NOT to do was reproduce the photo exactly, and I like my result.

It's been a fun change to get back to some landscapes after all the animals. (Though I do have 3 more animal underpaintings I'll be pasteling this week, to get them done.)

Here are some pics of my progress:











2 comments: