Thursday, January 16, 2020

Day 17 - Park Trail #46

"Park Trail #46" (pastel, 5x3 inches, on Ampersand Pastelboard)  sold

Day 17 of my 31-in-31 for January!

I've been stressing this week because I couldn't seem to get ahead with these dailies, and I'll be away from home this weekend doing a workshop in Georgetown TX (still a couple spaces left if you want to splurge short notice and come! See here!)

So I prepped a few photos of simple things that would fit as some 4x6 or 5x7 paintings, and had planned to get my gears going and whip out a couple glass bottles, a rose, and some baby booties, but when I got to my studio, something moved me toward my overstuffed cabinet and some ancient little landscape paintings that had been unframed years ago and on a whim I decided to paint over them with something new.

icky old landscapes from 2005-ish
first I brushed them off
then I washed them off
then I glazed them with some transparent gold primer, just to warm them up
then i sketched in some new landscape compositions
then I primed in some mid-tone terra cotta
...and added some transparent ultramarine
(note: the gold and blue primers I mention are acrylic colors and/or inks mixed with a pumice gel or Art Spectrum clear pastel primer. The terra cotta is another Art Spectrum pastel primer, one of their opaque colors.)

Today I pasteled 4 of these new little landscapes, and will be scheduling posts for them over the weekend. Whew! Here's a couple shots of Park Trail #46 in development:

Here I worked off the thumbnail image of these trees and path - so as not to get too distracted by details!







Thanks for watching! Please share! 

.


2 comments: