Monday, March 30, 2009

My lucky weekend in Marble Falls, TX

This past weekend I participated (for the 3rd year) in the "Paint The Town" plein air painting competition which is a part of the annual Bluebonnet Music and Fine Arts Festival in Marble Falls, Texas.

They had informed me a few weeks earlier that they wanted to use my painting "A Gray Morning on Main Street" (from last year's competition) on the T-shirt this year. I was thrilled!
Here's my son modeling the T-shirt!

When I heard about the T-shirt, I knew I wanted to do another panoramic scene of main street this year, and was hoping for sunny weather this time...

The day started out cloudy again, so I decided to paint from the other end of Main Street, to have a different view. But luck was with me as well... the clouds cleared off after all and the sun came out just as I started on the buildings!

A reporter (Raymond Whelan) from The River Cities Daily Tribune was covering the event, and he caught me half way through my painting "A Sunny Morning on Main Street." This one got in the paper! (Thanks Raymond!)

My luck didn't end there however -- I had a leisurely dinner on Saturday before the reception, and arrived to heaps of congratulations. --I had won First Place! Wow!

"A Sunny Morning on Main Street" pastel, 6x18 inches

The event is organized by the Historic Main Street Association. More than 40 artists participated in the weekend event, painting around Marble Falls Friday and Saturday. Paintings were turned in Saturday by 5 p.m. and the silent auction ended at 3 p.m. Sunday. Except for the cold front blowing through on Saturday, it was loads of fun! I'm looking forward to next year.

Here are the other small paintings I did the rest of the weekend:
These are all about 5x5 inches

"Shadow Lace" sold

"Eye Candy" available $100

"Salt n' Pepper" sold

"Coffee n' Cream" available $150

2 comments:

  1. Nice work and congratulations Rita! You deserve it and I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! You deserve any and all recognition that is given. I think you're the hardest working artist I know. Couple that with making jaw-dropping art, and the awards have to keep coming your way. Applause!

    ReplyDelete