Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Flamenco

"Flamenco"  (pastel, 7x5 inches) click here to bid

One of my Year's resolutions is to paint with nothing but oils for an entire year (or an entire month, I haven't decided.) But that won't be this Year, or this month either. What with everything else I've decided the best I can do is to take life one day at a time and today I felt that familiar was better.

So here's a pastel 5x7 cow for my first painting of the year. Since I like to work in batches, I used up a lot of the afternoon in cropping and adjusting several new photos, and did manage to get the primers finished on 9 new minis. Here's a peek at the first 2 layers:

...And progress shots on Flamenco:
the first 2 layers of gold primer.
I use Golden (brand) fine pumice gel with Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold acrylic color added. About a 2/1 ratio. This is a transparent mixture, so each layer gets darker.
the 3rd layer of gold primer

Art Spectrum (brand) pastel primer, terra Cotta color.
 I scuffle the terra cotta in some areas with an almost-dry brush or sponge, in order to extend the tonal range of my primer-underpainting.
Then comes the pastel...






BTW: I still have spaces left in my January workshop in Victoria, Texas! "Pastel in Miniature", Saturday and Sunday, January 18 & 19 at the Victoria Art League at 905 S. Bridge Street. Treat yourself to a fun and inspirational pastel art weekend, and start your year off right!
Informational Flyer
Registration Form
Supply List
Lodging Guide
Mail in the registration form or visit my Workshop Page for a convenient Paypal payment button!

.




No comments:

Post a Comment