Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Road Sketch #33

"Road Sketch #33"  (pastel on Canson Mi-Tientes Touch, 6.5 x 11.5 inches) click here to bid

My last demo from the workshop in Marble Falls, TX. I had decided to do a landscape but had no more paper or boards of my own to work on, so someone handed me an odd-sized piece of black Canson Mi-Tientes Touch. I've seen this paper, and I think I have some somewhere, but had never used it before so it was an adventure. On first application it feels as though the pastel won't hold on very well, but in fact it holds very well! I probably could have layered up a lot more pastel than I did, but I'm used to working with light glazes.

I chose a twilight road scene for this black paper (which was actually more of a dark charcoal gray) so my main challenge here was keeping the values all low-key, in the mediums and darks. The tiniest bit of light yellow for the headlights of the oncoming truck, and medium-light gray for the road lines.

This painting is suitable for custom matting, and in fact would look quite nice in a simple black 12x18 inch frame with a medium off-gray mat, 6x11 opening. Or even double matting with a dark green or violet inner mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment