Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Transience of Innocence

"Transience of Innocence" (pastel, 26x19 inches)  $3600

I'm thrilled to share the news that this, my latest large figurative painting, will be in two prestigious exhibits one after the other this spring and summer. Later next month she goes to the Hudson Valley Art Association' 84th Annual Juried Exhibition at the Salmagundi Club in New York City, returning in time to drive with me to the International Association of Pastel Societies 4th Masters Circle Exhibition in Albuquerque, NM.

Here's her itinerary:
HVAA 84th Annual, April 30 - May 5 at the Salmagundi Club Gallery, 47, 5th Ave, NYC
IAPS 4th Masters Circle, June 7-10, 2017, at the IAPS 2017 Convention, Albuquerque, N.M.


The idea for this painting started with a photo of my daughter from one of the many vacations from years past. Audrey was curled up on the hotel bed as was her habit, and (as these things usually start) I was attracted by the light and put my camera into action.


Well, this shot caught my eye again last year when digging deep for ideas in my photo files. It probably stayed buried for as long as it had because of that absolutely hideous bed spread!

Looking with fresh eyes, I realized it just needed some cropping and some new drapery. I threw a sheet across my own bed and experimented with various swags...




...and introduced some onto the photo,
until I found an arrangement I liked, then tested some color variations...

I stuck with the deep red, adjusted shadows and highlights, and stretched the fabric part of the composition to fit the frame I had in mind. When I was done composing, I liked standing-on-end egg shape and the powerful red color, which I was sure could lend some symbolism to aid in my title search. (This one didn't present me with it's title until after the painting was finished; sometimes it happens that way.)

All that was left was the painting! Starting with the underpainting:



And the pastel:







Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment