Monday, May 25, 2020

Hay Bales 6 - "Before and After!"

"Hay Bales 6" - revised (pastel, 8x8 inches) sold

The Appalachian Pastel Society is having an Adventures In Pastel contest over the next few months, with a set of Blue Earth pastels as the prize for whoever can complete the most challenges!
Their first challenge was a "before and after". This was to rework a painting with fresh eyes and all the skills you have acquired since putting it aside.

This is my before of "Hay Bales 6" (from 2011 😆can't believe it was still hanging around!)


These are the two reference photos I used. The first is the original reference, which I had enhanced in Photoshop.
To improve boring the composition, I used a secondary reference to change up the background and the character of the front bale. (I also tried to get more diagonals in the flow of the land, but that came out a little more subtle than I was hoping for.)




I wiped off the entire painting and started from the "ghost" image, used some Art Spectrum offwhite pigmented ink (which I've found to be an awesome way to get the "white" back into a dull, dark surface!) and my gold primer mix (Golden brand Quinacridone nickel azo gold fluid acrylic color mixed into Golden fine pumice gel) and some Art Spectrum terra cotta pastel primer, to establish the kind of underpainting that I'm used to now, and to get additional texture in more helpful directions.















Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

2 comments:

  1. How amazing and fun too! Your painting from 2011 captured the eerie late light of early evening in the autumn. There is a strangeness to the shape of hay bales and you've caught that I think. Your rework is wonderful!! I can smell the hay!!! What a wonderful warm glow you have achieved. Your super power is capturing light, that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glenda! :) (Ha, I was NOT trying for the eerie late light of early evening in my first attempt... ;)

      Delete