Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Warm Fuzzy #24 - Power Chick

Warm Fuzzy #24 - "Power Chick" (pastel, 4x4 inches) click here to bid or buy

This was the result of a "what if". Richard McKinley encourages his students to keep a "what if" attitude when deciding how to approach a painting, and my habit of working in series of small Daily Paintings especially lends itself to this approach, in fact sometimes demands it! I felt like a lot of my backgrounds lately were becoming a little too predictable. So with this chick I wondered "what if the background were to match the beak, but bolder?" Ok, it did help that there was a bit of this exciting red in the background of the photo. But when I began to throw in those intense reds, orange and fuscia, suddenly the chick went "Wow! Pow!" Timid little chick no longer! Just goes to show you the power of a background and how it can change the mood of a painting!
I could paint this chick like Andy Warhol's soup cans with all sorts of background colors, just to see the difference... hmmm...






Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment