Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Peek-A-Burro (III)

"Peek-A-Burro" (the third)  (pastel, 8x6 inches)  sold

I've gotten a lot of use out of this one reference photo. This is an 8x6 painting of this cutie that I painted on a request from a client. Unfortunately it was after Christmas when I finished it and she had been looking for a Holiday gift. ...So here it is!

A little history: "Head Rest" was the first painting I did from this photo.

photo
"Head Rest" 14x18 inches, pastel, sold
 Then, because I liked that face so much, I did a 12x9 I called "Peek-a-Burro" from the flipped photo.

"Peek-a-Burro" 12x9 pastel, sold
I originally thought to make this my donation to the ACT (Artists Changing Tomorrow) fundraiser auction and exhibit, but then learned that all 2-D works in the auction/exhibit would be 11x14 with the boards provided. So I priced this one unframed until I could frame it for my next show, and, well, I never did have the opportunity to frame it!

With the popularity and saleability of this image affirmed by these sales, I decided to go ahead with this image for the ACT auction. I flipped the image again and painted another in 14x11.

"Peek-A-Burro" 14x11, pastel
This Peek-A-Burro is still available through the act4art.com site and will be auctioned during the 2014 ACT exhibit, March 8 in Fayetteville, TX. Visit the link for reservation info, or to place a proxy bid. 100% of the proceeds from this auction of 104 original artworks by invited, professional artists will benefit arts, art education and cultural events for thousands of children and adults. ACT's purpose is to raise funds to sustain the arts throughout the world. You can make a difference by bidding.

So it's no surprise this most recent Peek-a-Burro painting stemmed from a client's excited enthusiasm about my donkey paintings. I have a couple of other cute photos of this donkey peeking over his friend's back; if I can come up with suitable titles, I might be motivated to continue the series... 
Anyone have ideas?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment