Wednesday, August 5, 2020

"Winter/Spring"



"Winter/Spring" (pastel, 10x22 inches) $980

I just love how white wooly sheep look in late sunlight. This is my 4th or 5th medium/large sheep painting, all from the same "photo shoot" of a beautiful herd that I discovered on the way home from somewhere a few years ago. It was abut 5 o'clock and the light was fantastic, and the sheep were a wonderful mix of young and old, shorn and thickly unshorn. I must have taken over a hundred photos as they milled about. Sometimes I'll use various photos for my compositions, but these two happened to be standing next to each other just like this when I snapped the photo.

I loved the contrast of shapes and the challenge of using an even number of subjects in a composition.  I decided to crop it long and narrow to fit this gold frame. 

This one will be going to the Art Connections Gallery in La Grange Texas on Friday for my featured wall this month. I'm so excited to have been found by this gallery right after the Gallery at Round Top had closed. Serendipity!

You can see me working through most of the pastel process of these sheep (in real-time) in this post on my Patreon page (the Bunny Buddies level.)

No comments:

Post a Comment