Monday, July 2, 2018

Blue Bunny

"Blue Bunny" (pastel, 8x6 inches) $250 unframed for a limited time, or $320 framed

Some bunnies are back!

Any resemblance of this one to the ice cream is purely coincidental. I'm just calling him what he is. Actually, he was a silvery mid-value gray... but I got excited by the blue and decided to add it to my underpainting! Wow, what fun!

(*7/3 UPDATE! My team just finished editing the video I had taken on the progress of Blue Bunny, and made it into a speed demo! Watch it here!)


 And the still shots:
gray bunny - photo

The first layers are gold colored. This is Golden brand Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold fluid acrylic color mixed into Golden Fine Pumice Gel at about a 1/4 (color/gel) ratio. The gel is clear, so the color mixture is semi-transparent, and gets darker on each application.
The next layer of primer is the Art Spectrum (brand) Pastel Primer in the terra cotta color. I lay it into the darkest areas, then scrub and dry-brush (or water it down) it into the medium values of the gold to continue the value scale and add more depth to the monochromatic underpainting. (Notice I left some areas for my blue experiment!)
The blue was Golden brand Fluid Acrylic color, ultramarine, added strongly to the Golden Fine Pumice gel. So it had some transparency which worked for my purposes...

 Then, the pastel!



How Blue Bunny will look in his frame.
And, as promised, here's a peek at my newest batch of underpaintings! I picked the fun blue one for today's of course... Stay tuned for more of these pastelled in the coming days!


Thanks for watching! Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment