Saturday, February 12, 2022

Day 13 of 28: "Gerty"

Day 13 of 28: "Gerty" (pastel, 6x6 inches) bid or buy

Gerty is the star of my Zoom demo this morning for the Pastel Society of Central Florida. They wanted to see a sheep, so I found this lovely sunlit angle on this ewe's face in my "good sheep" image folder.

I'll be sending the full-length demo video to the PSCF, and maybe they'll put it on their website. If they share it anywhere I'll be sure to post a link! 

Meanwhile, enjoy this quick GIF of the main progress points of the painting. 

I actually got as far as the 5th image in the morning demo, but I wasn't satisfied with the overall darkness of the painting, nor the disproportionate variance in the shadow values on the sheep. So afterwards, I took a good look and decided it was mostly the background that was too dark. So I wiped it all out, used gesso to lighten parts, and re-primed in gold. It took some experimentation (and more tweaks on the face!) before I was satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment