Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Day 24 of 28: "Moo Mime"

 

Day 24 of 28: "Moo Mime" (formerly Moomime) pastel, 6x6 inches. bid or buy

Moomime was a cute little white face calf I painted years ago, and it never sold. Personally I suspect it was because of the atypical off-centeredness, with the left ear cropped. Also, on further study, the values were not quite right in the face. So it's been hanging in my studio waiting for me to fix it. I needed a quick painting right before heading out to my Rockport workshop, so I decided to tackle this.

I decided what she needed was a back-tilt to that ear to get it away from the frame edge, some better shadow values in the face, and maybe a few other tweaks.
So I searched my photo files for some dark tilted ears on cows, and used a few to reference how Moomime's ear might look in that position. I also thinned her down a bit, and of course corrected the face shadow values. Then I had fun adding some colors not seen in the photo!

To celebrate her rebirth, I've slightly edited her name to "Moo Mime" (I always thought her face looked like mime makeup 🙂)

Enjoy these progress pics showing how I gave Moo Mime a makeover!

And, see a few of the original, pre-makeover progress pics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment