Thursday, March 11, 2021

Sunset Silhouette

 


"Sunset Silhouette" (pastel, 18x18 inches) $1290 + shipping

I'd had this juvenile Longhorn calf planned for a while, and my upcoming solo show gave me a reason to get it done! I was struck by the dramatic contrast of black and gold in the reference photo; it was that magical hour just before sunset, and the late summer Texas grasses were glittering with gold. A perfect backdrop for his shiny black coat.
 
I had fun with the background textures. I experimented with a paintbrush handle to swipe some grassy lines in the gold primer. 

See a quick little video of this tip, along with several progress pics of the painting, here!

This painting will be a part of my Solo Exhibition, Kindred Spirits, at the ARTS for Rural Texas in Fayetteville, March 27 - May 29, 2021. Opening Reception March 27, 5-7pm.
The ARTS director, Karen, has started loading my paintings into the website; you can view them here: https://arts.mybigcommerce.com/the-ross-gallery/rita-kirkman/ Check back often the rest of the month!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment